Lempuyang Temple Heaven’s Gate is a Balinese Hindu temple or Pura located in the slope of Mount Agung in Tista Village, Abang District, Karangasem Regency, precisely at the top of Bisbis Hill. From the city of Denpasar, Lempuyang Temple location can be reached through the tourist area of Candi Dasa, passing through the city of Amlapura, which is approximately 2 hours away. Another alternative route is to pass-through the Karangasem strait subdistrict, through the city of Semarapura by taking the path that leads to the road to Besakih.
Lempuyang temple Heaven’s Gate is considered as part of a complex of temple surrounding Mount Lempuyang, one of the highly regarded temples of Bali. In addition, this temple also has many interesting spots to take a picture, one of which is in the gate or tourists often call it Gate to Heaven Bali. This gate has a height of about four meters and is a favorite spot for visitors. With its background, the view of Agung Mountain is right in the middle of the gate. That is truly amazing.
Special Provisions When Receiving Lempuyang Temple:
- Do not wear open clothing, one reason is wearing mini or open clothing (even the shoulders and knees must be covered). This rule is applied to maintain the sanctity of the temple as the center of ritual worship.
- Kissing is prohibited
- Using drones is prohibited – Warning to photographers! Although it is permissible to take pictures, the use of drones is not permitted so that the worship process can be carried out.
- Mandatory use of cloth – As part of the tradition, everyone who visits the temple must wear a knee-length glove. A sarong can be rented at the entrance for IDR 10,000.
- For women who are menstruating, are not invited to move the temple area.
Lempuyang Temple Heaven Gate architecture
is divided into three areas, namely:
- The entrance to Jaba Pisan (outer sanctum) is marked by the white-painted Candi Bentar (split gate). Some The Bale (Balinese pavilions) are also here, including rectangular Bale Gong (where the gamelan is stored) and also Bale Kulkul.
- The entrance to Jaba Tengah (middle sanctum) is marked by three white-painted portals. The door on the left is used to enter, while the entrance to the right is used to exit. Central doors are usually closed and only opened during the religious ceremonies such anniversary ceremony (Piodalan). The central portal is where sacred objects, heirlooms, and offerings can pass during the ceremony. The three stairs leading to the portal are flanked by statues of Dragons and Puppets Figures.
- Jeroan (inner main sanctum) is the most sacred area of the temple. The Area of Lempuyang Temple features several The Meru and Pelinggih (like a multi-story tower), each of which is dedicated to the God. Some Padmasana Temple in the form
Lempuyang Temple History
Lempuyang Temple Heaven’s Gate was founded in the 11th century AD when Mpu Kuturan accompanied King Udayana to rule Bali with his queen. Pura Sad Kahyangan was established to protect Bali so that people continue to do things that are justified according to religious teachings. In Lontar Kutara Kanda Dewa Purana Bangsul was declared Sang Hyang Parameswara carrying mountains in Bali from Jambhudwipa (India), Mahameru Mount. The piece of Mahameru Mount was brought to Bali and divided into three major parts and also small parts. The middle part is made of Mount Batur and Mount Rinjani, while the peak is Mount Agung. The smaller fragments become the mountain slopes in Bali that are related to each other.
The mountains include Mount Tapsahi, Pengelengan, Siladnyana, Beratan, Batukaru, Nagaloka, Pulaki, Puncak Sangkur, Bukit Rangda, Trate Bang, Padang Dawa, Andhakasa, Uluwatu, Sraya and Gunung Lempuhyang.The mountains are the stana of the Gods (manifestations of God) to guard Bali.In the Sading C inscription in 1072 Saka stated that Lempuhyang Mount was also named Adri Karang Mount. It is on Adri Karang Mount that Jayasakti King meditates because that is the mountain also called Karangsemadi.
Jayasakti King was ordered by his father Sang Hyang Guru to go down to Bali to build a temple to become a safe and prosperous area. Jayasakti King invited the commanders and their assistants and the people to realize the order of Sang Hyang Guru to build Bali by beginning the construction of a temple on Gunung Lempuhyang which was the place of worship of God as Sang Hyang Iswara. Pujawali Ceremony (anniversary) in Lempuyang Luhur Temple is of two types, namely every six months in Bali (210 days) to coincide with Thursday Umanis, Wara Dungulan (One day after Galungan Holyday) and at every Purnamaning Wesaka (full moon day between March-April).